Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Real Talk: "Sankarea"

I am going to use these "Real Talk" posts as a discussion about some topic. It will not necessarily be a review but just my general thoughts about an anime, manga, whatever.

_________________________________________________________________________

So Sankarea in case you do not know is a manga and anime that revolves around our main protagonist Furuya who is just crazy for zombies and horror films. He eventually runs into Sanka (person in above picture) and she dies. He makes a potion and now she is a zombie.

That's a rough summary of the first chapters/episodes in case you needed the background. I am going to mainly focus on the anime since that is the one I had the most beef with. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the anime for many reasons (one being that it is actually very faithful to the source material). It's animation is very crisp and beautiful, the voice acting is very well done, and the characters (for the most part) match their counterparts in the manga. For me though (maybe I am just weird) it doesn't feel as impactful as the manga.

When I first read the manga I was amazed at how original, interesting, and overall enjoying it was to read. I honestly could not leave it until I cached up with the releases. When I heard an anime would be releasing soon biased off of the manga, I went nuts. When the first couple episodes were released, I found myself liking it...A LOT. The characters seemed to fit perfectly and the animation was very well done. As the show progressed however I began to lose interest. Maybe it was because I already knew what was coming up or that the pace seemed a little too slow. I really do not know why I didn't enjoy it as much as I should of.

Either way the show is very decent and if you haven't been keeping up with the manga I encourage you give this anime a try. You might enjoy it more if you do not read the manga yet because while it does follow the storyline well, the pace is very slow. Look for a review in the next couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment