Thursday, October 18, 2012

"Kamisama Hajimemashita" (Anime) Episodes 1-3 thoughts


Kamisama Hajimemashita is part of a genera of anime that I usually stray away from because it has never really appealed to me in the past. This genera, shoujo is made for and directed towards young women so why in the hell would I bother with it? So what happened within the first three episodes that caused me to feel so strongly about this anime?

Well first is the amazing animation. With shows like Fate/Zero and Nisemonogatari pushing such amazing quality of animation, one might think that nothing would come close to topping them. Kamisama Hajimemashita so far has itself coming very close to the visual appeal of Nisemonogatari for two main reasons:
  1. They both share a somewhat abstract way of presenting scenes. Examples of what I mean are how the close up shots transition and how the overall uniqueness of the animation sets it apart from other shows.
  2. They both share amazing lighting techniques. It seems as if every possible frame of animation is lit brilliantly.
The animation is just...wow. TMS Entertainment is really outdoing themselves; I hope they can keep the quality up throughout the entire season.

So back to the weird part...a shoujo...Why would an adult male like myself chose to like a show that is directed for women? The strange thing is that I find the main character very interesting. Nanami is left with literally nothing in the first minutes of the show's beginning but she continues on. After becoming one of the gods, she at first denies her responsibilities but once she finds out how much she (the god) means to the people that put their trust in her hands, she tries her hardest to make their wishes come true. She is a very strong lead and is by no means a pushover. Her servant Tomoe is at the moment, bearable. I do not like him but I also do not loath him; his personality is very off putting but since his views do not match up with Nanami's it provides some good chemistry.

I can already tell from the openings that more male characters are going to be introduced so the show is bound to turn into a romantic comedy with the men fighting over Nanami. I'm not really looking forward to that but god...I could sit through all that crap in order to enjoy that beautiful animation.


No comments:

Post a Comment