Friday, September 7, 2012

Real Talk: "Wakfu" Season One


In my quest to find new exciting anime to watch, I stumbled across something great that looks like a typical anime...but is french. Wakfu is a show that follows our rag tag team of heroes mainly focusing on the super child Yugo and his quest to meet his real father. Not only is Wakfu a very popular french cartoon, it has spawned a turn based MMORPG that takes place in the realm of Wakfu ten years before the anime. There is also a manga adaptation to the show as well.

So what makes the show so great? The most predominant characteristic of the show is the unique and beautiful animation style. While the scenes are not as crisp as say Nisemonogatari, it is still very clear, vibrant, and beautiful. Its actually pretty hard to explain why it is done so well so here are a couple screen shots:
And a video:

So not only is the show brilliant to look at, it also sounds very appealing to me. Now it might just be because I love the French language so much but the characteristics and vocal mannerisms of the voice actors are very easy on the ears. The characters range from a headstrong but good kid, a smelly and mysterious old man, a sassy and needy princess, a reserved bodyguard, and a goofy womanizer. This cast however really work well with each other and you really get a sense of the adventure because everything clicks so well between everyone. By the end of the first couple episodes, our little group of heroes are off on their quest and I was more than happy to come along.

Overall why I liked this show so much was that even though the plot seem to...well disappear in the middle, I still hung around because I could not wait to see what trouble the gang would get into next. The animation is by far one of the greatest things I have ever seen in a long running show, and the clarity of the French voice actors is something to behold. I cannot wait to move onto the next season so that I can see what other troubles and adventures the team gets themselves into. I won't lie to you; it is a major pain to find this show on the internet at the moment. You might have to risk doing some illegal streaming to get a hold of the episodes so please when it becomes readily available, please support the staff by buying a copy. This show is a MUST WATCH so make sure you do not miss out on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment