Sunday, September 29, 2013

"Danganronpa Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei The Animation" Anime Review

***Spoiler free review***

Danganronpa Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei The Animation (holy fu@# what a mouthful of a title) was a wildcard anime for me this past season. When I watched the first episode I had no idea if I was going to end up liking my investment. I am pleased to announce that I did end up enjoying the show even if the ending was pretty boring.

Story: 5/10

So the plot was pretty intriguing in the beginning. The anime follows the main protagonist Naegi as he and the other highschool students struggle to survive in the crazy dog eat dog world they find themselves in. Every episode follows a monster of the week type format where there is a murder each episode that the students have to solve and vote on. I rather enjoyed this aspect of the plot; to see what alliances formed between the cast and how each one responded to being called guilty. I would say that the one thing that really hurts this anime is how predictable the future events are to see coming. It was quite obvious to me who killed each person in each episode (except for the last one). Even though it was predictable, I still ended up enjoying most of the show. The ending however really let me down; don’t want to spoil it so all I’ll say is that it felt very melodramatic and rushed. I have heard that the anime was very faithful to the game it was based on so props for that. 

Animation: 9/10

LOVED THE EYES IN THIS ANIME. Yeah the animation was very spot on in every episode as the character models were very defined and seemed quite unique compared to any other anime I have seen. If I had to complain about anything it would be how a lot of the miscellaneous objects off camera center seemed very undefined. 
Sound: 8.5/10

Liked the soundtrack and thought the voice actors did a great job. Shout out to the voices of Togami and Kirigiri. Not so much Naegi he just came off pretty pathetic for most of the show.

Characters: 5.5/10

To put it bluntly, every character in this anime is some stereotype of another show already out. You have the super shy, sportsy tomboy, larger nerd type person, ext. There are some good moments between the characters but the only developing friendship you become aware of is between Naegi and Kirigiri. The cast did work well with each other though so some points have to be given there.
Overall: 7/10

The show was pretty enjoyable. It had an interesting start and went off like a rocket. It did start to lose some steam once people started dying off and I still think it could have ended better but that is just my opinion. I recommend this if you like detective style anime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment