Thursday, May 22, 2014

Spring 2014 anime update



It has been a couple weeks since the spring season of anime has started and I already have so many favorites that I look forward to each week. These awesome picks are (in no particular order):

No Game No Life: One word that should sell you this anime in a heartbeat; MADHOUSE. This anime is by far one of the best looking and sounding shows I have seen in some time. The production values appear to be off the chart as every scene is just bristling with light and color. Characters look amazing and feel unique. The character interactions are so hilarious and feel pretty tangible. This is one anime that I feel everyone should give a shot though if you are turned off by fanservice then maybe try to watch it with an open mind.
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou: This is the feel good, romantic comedy of the season (at least the one I can sit down and actually enjoy). At first I thought the limited cast might be a turn off but instead it has me really investing myself into all the main characters. One thing I noticed is how much the anime reminds me of a manga called Mahoraba which has a very similar plot and setting. Overall the show encompasses slapstick style humor (just like No Game No Life) and a really likeable cast. Give it a show if you want some laughs. 
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin: Like No Game No Life, this anime is a slapstick style actiony anime but with the main focus being on a treasure hunting theme. Other than the amazing visuals and audio cues, the main strength of this anime has to be the character interactions. The cast really mends well with each other. Again pick this one up if you have the time.
Mekaku City Actors:  Again like with No Game No Life, there is one word to sell you this anime; SHAFT. Looks and feels like all the -monogatari anime but it does have its own feel and flow. The characters are really interesting and look beautiful/handsome. The only downside I have experienced in this anime is the curse of using the first half of the show to painfully open up each character to the main plot. The show is taking FOREVER to introduce each character which for some is ok but there are some characters that I don't particularly care for so much screen time. Overall though if you like SHAFT's way of execution then pick this one up.

Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to: I love this anime so much because I was absolutely in love with the manga. The anime has really good colors and seems to be following the manga to the "T". Only complaint is that I do not care for some of the voice actors the studio chose. Overall though the brilliant comedy about a manga artist and his assistants is here and is awesome.   

Notables:
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara: It's pretty generic but the character interactions can be fun to watch. The trap is just way too cute.

Nisekoi: As this anime drags on I am reminded why I started to get bored with the manga; it loses its appeal fairly quickly. It looks and sounds great (SHAFT duh) but the characters do run their course and get a little boring.

Chaika: The Coffin Princess: This anime started out pretty boring but I am glad to say that it is actually getting really interesting. I always liked some of the main cast but now the plot is starting to thicken a little bit. Looking forward to what is to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment